Women Involved Series: Darcy Turenne


Meet Darcy Turenne, originally from Canada and well-known for freeride mountain biking. She is a woman of many talents, including film-making.

I wanted to contact her after seeing the short video Couples Ride-a humorous take on mountain biking with your significant other. She seemed like she would be a great person to have featured on Life on Two Wheels!




You can follow Darcy on Twitter Instagram, and Facebook.

Check out her website and portfolio at: darcyturenne.com


When did you first start riding a bike?
I started mountain biking when I was 13 

What motivated you to ride as much as you have over the years?
From the first time I hit the trails, I was totally obsessed. As a teenager, you're bound by so many rules. There were no rules when I was mountain biking, so I spent as much time being a renegade as possible!  

Have you competed in events? If so, what were your reasons for competing?
I used to race XC and downhill because it was the best way to meet others in the mountain bike community. Then I started getting competitive and racing on a national and global scale…which I didn't really love because of the pressure to perform (that I mostly put on myself). The most fun I've had at contests are at slope style events with my friends.  

What would be your favorite competitive biking event?
Slope Sistair was the first women's slope style and it was amazing. 

What inspired you to do Freeride? What do you love most about it?
I hated how racing told me where to ride, when to ride, and how to ride a race course. I always loved jumping, travel, and doing my own thing, so freeride was a natural transition for me.  

(If you have a second favorite!) What kind of riding is your favorite? (paved, gravel, mountain, etc.)
I'm into a good XC pedal these days. Or a fun BMX rip at the skate park. 

Do you remember how you felt on your first mountain bike ride? (If not a mountain biker, how about first commuter ride, paved trail ride, gravel, etc.)
FREE! Absolute freedom.  

If you had nervousness at all, what do you do or think to overcome it?
I was 13, so I'm not sure if "nervous" was even in my mind's vocabulary.  

Do you use clipless pedals? If yes, what are some tips/suggestions for beginners that you would share? If no, are you thinking of trying it out at all?
I use both. Clipless are great for hilly rides, but flat pedals teach you bike control. I'd suggest learning bike control with flats, then switching over to clipless.   

Have you had a bike biff? If so, how did you recover on a physical/mental/emotional level?
Many crashes, many scars. Recovering mentally and emotionally from a crash is always the hardest part. I still haven't fully recovered from a few of my crashes. After a bad crash or injury I take a lot of time off the bike to re-gain enthusiasm and recover fully. 

What do you love about riding your bike?
Getting into the flow and feeling like a kid.  

Tell us about your bike(s), what they are like and why did you choose them?
My main whip right now is the carbon Norco Sight 650b. I love my bike because it's super fast on the uphill but plush enough on the downhill and can still take a big hit if it needs to. Great all-round bike for the trails I live by. I also have a DJ hard tail and a BMX that I like to play on.  

What clothing/bike accessories do you love? What would you recommend to your friends?
I love all Dakine clothing because they are colourful, fun, cool, light, and everything amazing. 

What inspired you to make the video Couples Ride?
I've had a lot of laughs with my friends about our experiences skiing/biking/running/hiking with our significant others. I've also witnessed a lot of lovers' quarrels on the trails and I basically just took some of the things I've said to my boyfriend while backcountry skiing, exaggerated them, and put them into a bike video. Geoff was SO fun to work with. 

What would you like to tell other women who are thinking about trying to mountain bike? (Especially if they haven't done it before)
Take a lesson and go with your girlfriends to keep things fun and non-intimidating. 

What would be some suggestions that you would give to someone new to mountain biking?
Start out slow and progress slowly. Don't take your bike off the biggest drops right away. That's just sadistic….you'll get there eventually so be patient. 

Comments